ISLANDWOOD BRIGHTWATER SUMMER CAMP INTERN
Overview: An IslandWood internship provides a wonderful opportunity to be a part of an exciting educational environment. IslandWood was founded on a unique mission: to provide exceptional learning experiences and to inspire lifelong environmental and community stewardship. In the summers, we run 6 weeks of summer camps for kids from 1st – 6th grades at the Brightwater Center, located in Woodinville, WA. As a Summer Camp Intern, you will work with a Summer Camp Instructor to provide hands-on, field-based environmental education programs at the Brightwater Center in Woodinville.
Dates: June 29 – August 17, 2015 (Includes 3 days of training, 1 day of clean-up / debrief, and no work on July 2nd and 3rd)
Summer Camp Interns team with experienced field instructors to create, plan, and provide a variety of educational programs for youth. Thematic programs are full-day experiences. This position is designed to guide interns in developing valuable teaching skills and knowledge as they work closely with Summer Camp Instructors.
Strong applicants will be creative, flexible, and dependable undergraduates working towards a degree or with a sincere interest in environmental science, multicultural education, environmental education, or related field. Experience working with children and environmental education is preferred. A strong work ethic, excellent interpersonal skills, and the ability to work well with a team will assure success in this position.
Summer Camp Interns will gain valuable skills in experiential education. College credit may be applied for through your school. Each intern will also be assigned to an instructor mentor who will serve as a professional resource throughout the summer.
- Undergraduate student working toward a four-year degree with a sincere interest in Environmental/Science/Multicultural Education, Environmental Science, or related field
- Some experience working with children and environmental education preferable
- Creative, flexible, and able to work closely with a Summer Camp Instructor
- Ability to work as a team member
- Strong work ethic, punctual, dependable, ability to work long hours
- Excellent interpersonal skills with staff, children, and parents
- Demonstrate IslandWood’s core values that enable teams and individuals to succeed with shared respect and purpose.
- Support IslandWood’s strategic plan to expand our mission and impact.
- Experience in engaging with diverse communities.
- Must pass child safety screening.
- Must be able to comply with and maintain a smoke-free and drug-free work environment
- Current First Aid and CPR required by training start date (WFA desirable but not required)
- Must be at least 18 years old
- $500 stipend to be paid upon completion of internship
- Gain valuable skills in experiential education by observing Lead Instructors as well as teaching your own lessons
- Possible college credit approved by your school
- Valuable networking opportunities in the world of environmental & progressive education
- Letter of Recommendation following a successful completion of the internship upon request
Application Deadline: Open until filled
Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis, with hiring offers made until all positions are filled.
Submit an intern application, resume, letter of interest, and 3 references to:
Derek Jones, M Ed.
Brightwater Program Coordinator
BW Summer Camp Internship 2015