Sophomores and juniors engaged in research still have time to apply for the Goldwater Scholarship! The Goldwater Foundation seeks to attract outstanding students into research careers in any setting (academia, industry, etc.). Students engaged in research in fields of Chemistry, Computer and Information Sciences and Engineering, Engineering, Geosciences, Life Sciences, Materials Research, Mathematical Sciences, Physics and Astronomy, and Psychology may be eligible to apply. To view the eligible sub-fields, see https://goldwater.scholarsapply.org/eligibility/.
Scholarships of up to $7,500 a year are provided to help cover costs associated with tuition, fees, books, room and board.
UW is able to nominate up to 4 candidates to compete for the national Goldwater Scholarships. To be considered for UW nomination, students should complete UW’s online application form at https://expo.uw.edu/expo/apply/438.
UW DEADLINE for applications: November 13, 2016.
In 2016-17, UW’s Thomas Sedlock Icon Scholarship will also be awarded in connection with UW’s Goldwater Scholarship nominations. Any UW Goldwater nominees not awarded the Goldwater Scholarship will receive a Sedlock Icon Scholarship in the range of $3,000-$6,000. Sedlock Icon Scholarship award decisions will be made in early April, after final Goldwater Scholarship national selection decisions are announced.
To be considered for nomination, a student must:
· Have one or two years of undergraduate study left and be pursuing a bachelor’s degree on a full-time basis.
· Have an average of at least B or the equivalent.
· Be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident.
· Have a demonstrated interest in a research career in mathematics, the natural sciences, or engineering.
· Be nominated by his or her college or university on the official online nomination application provided by the Barry Goldwater Scholarship and Excellence in Education Foundation. To be competitive for nomination at UW, students must have a minimum of three quarters of research experience and a minimum GPA of 3.5.
Please find additional UW details at http://expd.uw.edu/expo/scholarships/goldwater and on the official Goldwater website at https://goldwater.scholarsapply.org/. Additional
information about the Thomas Sedlock Icon Scholarship is available at http://expd.washington.edu/expo/scholarships/sedlock.
Goldwater & Sedlock flyer.pdf