Full-time, seasonal, May, June, or July through November
Helsing Junction Farm is a 50 acre organic farm located in Rochester, WA. It is nestled at the eastern edge of Independence Valley, an agriculturally rich farming community about 25 miles south of Olympia. They operate a 1,000+ member CSA, delivering from Portland to Seattle and many places in between. In addition we do a smaller amount of wholesale and direct to business sales. The farm was started in 1992 by Annie Salafsky and Sue Ujcic and was one of the country’s first CSA operations. You can visit their website, http://www.helsingfarmcsa.com if you’d like to learn more.
As a member of their Field Crew, you will be a part of a team of co-workers, aiding and assisting in a wide variety of different tasks and responsibilities.
The Field Crew is the backbone of the farm, and most of the crew members have worked at the farm for many years. As such they are very skilled, efficient, knowledgeable, and often self-sufficient in their work.
The Field Crew most commonly work altogether or in smaller groups, and as such all candidates should generally be positive, easy to get along with, energetic, adaptable, and capable of clear and consistent communication.
Responsibilities can at times be physically demanding, so all candidates must be capable of lifting heavy and awkward items up to 50 lbs., capable of performing repetitive tasks with endurance, and able to work for long durations even in inclement weather.
Please note: Candidates must be able to lift 50 pounds and move heavy items. If you have a history of chronic back pain or other serious physical ailments or limitations, this position would not be a good fit for you.
* Greenhouse seeding
* Irrigation set up and maintenance
* Produce washing and processing
* Packing CSA boxes three days a week
* Deliveries as needed
* General farm labor as needed
* Prior experience that is applicable to this position (farming/produce) is desired but not a must * Attention to detail
* Punctuality and strong time management skills
* Positive and energetic disposition with strong interpersonal skills * Strong back with the ability to lift heavy and awkward objects * Ability to work well in both a team setting and independently
* Fast learner and ability to adapt to new positions and working with new people
* Ability to take direction, accept constructive feedback and to ask for help when needed * Ability to give direction and act as a leader among peers and colleagues * Ability to work for long durations in inclement weather
* Ability to perform and endure repetitive physical work
* Ability to speak Spanish is desired but not a must
40-55/wk (hours change with the season). Either a Monday-Friday schedule, or Sunday-Thursday, to be determined prior to the start of the season.
Commensurate with experience, and includes one small CSA share. Additionally, vegetables from the field are available for the picking, as well as partner share items at discount price.
Farm Manager, Office Manager, Field Crew Manager, Harvest Leaders, Greenhouse Manager, Packshed Manager
Please email a letter of interest, and 3 references to:
Dan Finkelstein and Valerie Cochran
Helsing Junction Farm
Please write “Field Crew Member” in the email subject line and include where you found this job posting in the body of the message.
Applications only accepted via email. Mailed or walk-in applications will not be accepted.