The Jackson Munro Public Service Fellowship (formerly the Sterling and Gene Munro Public Service Fellowship) encourages a life-long commitment to public service by providing outstanding undergraduates with the opportunity to explore their potential through service and leadership in the community.
Jackson Munro Public Service Fellows are selected based on the strength of a public service project proposed in collaboration with a public sector (non-profit or governmental) organization.
Selection of Jackson Munro Public Service Fellows
In 2016, we are piloting a summer intensive Jackson Munro experience with students funded to engage in a public service project between June 20-August 19th.
Jackson Munro Public Service Fellows are selected for a summer intensive experience based on three primary factors:
- An established partnership with a non-profit or public sector organization
- A collaboratively thought out plan for a summer intensive project that will benefit the partnering organization while increasing student skills and learning
- An articulation of how the work of the Fellow will contribute to their development as a public servant and leader
Made possible through the support of the Henry M. Jackson Foundation, the Fellowship is named for late Senator Henry M. “Scoop” Jackson and S. Sterling Munro, Jr., the former top aide to Senator Jackson and Administrator of the Bonneville Power Administration.
Award amounts range from $3,000-$4,000, depending on the number of fellows selected.
In addition to a monetary award, Jackson Munro Fellows are also supported through workshops throughout the summer. In addition, Jackson Munro Fellows receive individualized coaching about their community involvement by staff in the Carlson Center.
- Active engagement in your Fellowship Project during summer quarter, 2016
- Enrollment in summer quarter courses and/or enrollment in spring AND autumn, 2016 courses at the University of Washington
- Willing to schedule and complete a site visit to your organization with a Carlson Center staff member
- Available to present on your fellowship and associated learning at an event the week of August 8-12 (date and time TBD)
Deadline to Apply:
Applications for the 2016 Summer Intensive Jackson Munro Public Service Fellowship are due by Monday, May 9th at 11:59 pm
The online application can be accessed via this link.
Learn more about the history of the Jackson Munro Public Service Fellowship (formerly the Sterling and Gene Munro Public Service Fellowship)
Questions? Email Rachel Vaughn, director, Carlson Leadership & Public Service Center, email@example.com