Please forward the following student opportunity to interested students (and professors) in your department, as the Feb. 1 deadline is approaching. A great opportunity for students to get published and present their research. I have also attached a flyer you may post as well. Thank you!
ASDSO’s ninth annual Student Paper Competition will be held in conjunction with Dam Safety 2017, Sept. 10-14 in San Antonio, TX. We invite students to submit papers on dam and levee safety. Topics may include traditional areas of design engineering, structural and geotechnical analysis, hydrology, hydraulics, construction, risk management and hazard mitigation, emergency action planning, dam security, and policy. In addition, case studies, emerging and innovative technologies, and senior capstone projects are encouraged. Example topics may include, but are not limited to:
• Public safety at dams, including low-head dams
• Legal, social, economic, environmental impacts of dam removal
• Real-time hydrologic modeling applied to dam safety decision making
• Stability & safety of fly ash impoundment structures
• State & federal dam safety programs: What’s working? What’s not?
• Effects of extreme flood events (e.g. hurricanes, tropical storms) on dam safety
• Private dam ownership responsibility for dam safety
• Remediation alternatives for deficient (unsafe) High Hazard Potential dams &
• Levees & hazardous low-head dams
• Policy toward management of existing trees on dam & levee safety
• Innovative monitoring techniques for dam & levee safety
• Lessons learned from dam & levee failures
Each winning paper will receive $500 and a travel stipend to present at Dam Safety 2017. Winning papers will also be published in the annual conference proceedings. Other selected entries will be invited to participate in the Dam Safety 2017 Poster Forum. The deadline to submit executive summaries and abstracts is February 1. For more information, visit the student paper competition page at blewis with any inquiries.
Student Paper Competition Flyer.pdf